Sunday, March 22, 2009

September 2008

September was a little bit of a slower month in that I had a big office event that actually took me away from our fine fine state for 10 days, those pictures are on my other blog... you can go there!


Velvet Cash
Lion's Lair
September 11, 2008

I don't remember who Velvet Cash was opening for or if they were opening even at all... I know I got to the Lair and I was amused by the night and learned a very valuable lesson about telling my story imagining that the person talking to isn't going to tell the person that I was talking about what I said.  So that being said it wasn't a complete waste... got to hear some good music and generally learn to keep my trap shut.  The last time I had been at the Lair to see them play was as babihed and I had the fortunate experience of being thrown into the middle of Colfax by that homeless guy as a joke, which isn't really funny but it was.  So color me a little bummed out when the night was pretty mellow as far as crazyness happened. Since nothing really did this time I was a little disappointed this way.  But certainly not with the show! 



Cloud Cult
Monolith Kick off Party
Bluebird Theater
September 11, 2008


Monolilth 2008 gets kicked off tonite at this show.  I walked in to the Bluebird Theater and it was really festive.  Seemingly more so that usual if this is possible.  I wasn't all that familiar with Cloud Cult outside of hearing that they are incredibly environmentally concious and that they have a large group of different musicians that they tour with.  It is also where I got to see the second round of painters on stage, but this time learned that they were acutally part of the band and not just on the side being hippies.  So Cloud Cult were interesting and it really seemed like they were glad to be there.  Got there right as their set started.  They partnered with Essurance (who were a corporate sponsor for the Festival) and it was interesting to hear about their "green initiatives" both the band and the company.

I didn't go up to the first day of Monolith but I did get luckey enough to go to the second:


Monolith Festival
Day Two
RedRocks Amphitheater
September 13


I took this picture on the stairs up, this was taken as a way to pause so I wouldn't have to admit how out of shape I was but I am was (and still am) but I am glad that I did because its a pretty cool shot. It was pretty early in the day and I was shlepping a bag full of food and stuff but wowza.... that walk was something.  We didn't take the ramp side entrance which actually was much much more scenic.  I am really glad that I took the time to actually take the picture, out of some of pictures, this is certainly one of my favorites.



Most of the bands (out side of CSS) were playing the main stage so I was happy to get there, plunk down and hunker in and have a really good spot to sit and chill and take in the day.  I brought food and even a book to read if I got bored... who am I kidding there was no way that would happen... it's Monolith!

I will provide only photographic information below because seriously to find the notes that I took would be a nightmare right now.. but know this... I had a really great time, am really thrilled that I got to see the bands perform that I did, the only band that I missed was CSS because they played at the same time as TVOR and no way was I going to miss that...


 
  



 
  
  Teenagers are really cute, and these kids were awesome
 The Avett Brothers - How amazing were they? I think my favorite thing of the day - daylight show...

 
  
 


Sharon Jones is BAD ASS... that is all
 
 

Guest Dancers and Singers: 

TV on the Radio (this is who I totally came to see, they had a short set because of transportation issues but as easily as they could have canceled they didn't... I loved every second of their set).
 

And just because it was a beautiful night:



Nick Cave
The Ogden Theater
September 25, 2008

Opener Bambi Lee Savage - with Red Rock West Backing
 


The only picture I was willing to try and even take... I wanted to enjoy the show, plus I knew of at least four other shooters at the show so if there was a picture that I wanted I could easily get one from someone that I knew...

No comments: