Friday, March 27, 2009

January 2009

January 2009... wow was it only a few months ago?  I miss it.  I had alot of fun.

DJ Saviour Breath at New Music Monday
Larimer Lounge
January 5, 2009

 
DJ Saviour Breath in the house... fun night of some really great mixes and beats.  I shook my booty and danced even.  Danced in the Larimer? Really? Yeah I did and I am bragging about it.


Solar Bears / Everything Absent or Distorted
Boulder Theater
January 15, 2008

No pictures because I wasn't comfortable pulling out my camera really.  I had to stealthy take my camera out to take a picture of the really cool looking bar even.  I got a really stern "don't do that look" from someone that worked there, so not to rock the boat, I put it away.


This was the first time I saw Solar Bears, I really did enjoy their show and their lights.  They had been on the Mile High Fidelity show a couple days before so it was nice to hear the music live.

Everything Abscent or Distorted headlined.  It was un-real.  I hadn't seen them before either.  The interplay of the musicians playing multiple instruments and harmonizing made me really happy and I had to ... had to sneak at least one picture. It is blurry because I snapped it super quickly and not with any thought to focus or anything else.  Its a dumb shot.  But then again... I kind of like it.  So there.

I liked how at one point there seemingly was a guy who did nothing more that dance behind the band.  He played a tambourine.  I thought... ok seriously... i could do that in a band.  Too bad that guy already has the job, I would totally audition for that except I can't really keep any rhythym so I would not be allowed to man handle that tambourine meaning I wouldn't have any purpose and they would not let me in the band then.  So... my dreams dashed in that one modest little moment listening to them.  But that is how nice they were that I actually got inspired to find a way into a band.  Really.  True story.



Mark Mothersbaugh gallery opening for Postcard Diaries
with Guest DJ - Magic Cyclops
Andeken Gallery
January 16, 2009

It's Magic Cyclops!  It's Magic Cyclops with puppets.  It was really fun.  There were these kids there who were just having the BEST time, dancing and rolling around on the gallery floor.  Sometimes that exhuberance is annoying but this time absolutely precious.  I really really wanted to take pictures of them, but I didn't know who their parents are/were but because I know that there are some rules about taking pictures of strangers children and posting them on the internet.  
So I took pictures of the gallery with no people except the guy working for Mark Mothersbaugh who was running the merch table, talking on his cellphone and taking pictures of the folks in the gallery, it was really quite impressive multi-tasking.  I loved this peice of work and then pondered and pondered and pondered and then though if I still wanted it I could go back and then of course I didn't. But I seem to have a little clown art thing going so I might have to re-contemplate.  Mark Mothersbaugh wasn't at the opening and I don't know if they did a live chat or not, but the show was really neat.  I love the multi-media collage work and his nod to the postcard was rad. I try to send out postcards at least once a month to my people (its always nice to get real mail and not bills in the mail) but have sadly been lacking in these first few months.  OH and if you want to be added to the list send me your email and I will get your address. I kinda have some ideas.  Maybe I do a Mark Mothersbaugh inspired set or something ridiculous.  Who knows.  Maybe I just oogle the art at shows and not mail anything. Ran into some friends which was fun and got a slight contact high walking around in one of the instalations which was actually more than slightly awesome.  And for the record if this was a Beautiful Mutants exhibit...I probably wouldn't have hesitated for moment to buy something.
Harpoontang
 Lions Lair
January 16, 2009
Sadly I can't really write about it.  Why because it was so awesome and you seriously just have to get a listen to it yourself.  This was also (outside of the Mike Marchant cd release earlier in the month) the first time I got to actually talk with Lance Stack of Flat Response.  He is so awesome, generous and really a nice nice guy.  If you see him at a show, go up and say thanks for recording some cool shows!  Here is the link to the show download: Harpoontang - Lions Lair  And seriously, after you listen and totally enjoy, let him know you appreciate the recording because it was perhaps the funnest thing I had seen in a really long time.  It was short and sweet and super fun and funny. These ladies are perhaps the most talented vocalists in Denver singing in some of the sweetest and harmounious bands so to see them let a little (heh) loose (heh heh) was awesome.   And for the record I always like shows at the Lions Lair.  Something always interesting happens and the people there are always really happy to be there.  I do miss the booths (there is part of one left behind the door) but its a small price to pay for Denver's funnest show.

New Music Night with Guest DJs Heather Browne - I am Fuel You are Friends and Meese
Larimer Lounge
January 19, 2009


Didn't dance but there were people that did.  There was a dance troupe with hula hoops!  Heather rocked the tables and the guys from Meese mixed it up for our pleasure.  Belated birthday drinks for DJ Hot to Death as well.  Brought the good camera out and gave it a spin.  Took completely ridiculous pictures and had a great time (as usual). Another stellar night at the Larimer Lounge. 
 
  
  
I really have to say this was a hit.  Had a great time. 

The Wheel and Young Coyotes
Hi Dive
January 23, 2009

 
I took one picture and it was of the crowd
 Git Some

 3 Kings Tavern
January 23, 2009
 
After returning from a European Tour Git Some is back home!




Stand By Your Band IV
Hi Dive
January 24, 2009

This is a super picture heavy show... I had too much fun shooting and singing along! Thanks for the great night...

Opened with Magic Cyclops doing the magic that he does...
  
  
Then I got to see a vision of Little Red Corvette that was beaUtiful-
  
  
THEN IT WAS SO ON!

  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
Such  a great night and full of super talented people, it was lovely.  


Freak Train
Bug Theater
January 26, 2009

A really fun night started off with a delicious dinner at Patsy's then the Freak was on.

Full admission here.  I had never been to Freak Train.  I should have gone to Freak Train.  It is pathologically wrong that I hadn't ever gone to Freak Train. There... it is out there.  The truth is out there.  I had alot of fun.  Heard a not so children's children's bedtime story, heard some funnies, saw some interpretive dance about what I think was sausage,  heard some poetry, laughed about corn and decided it would be a long long time before I ate canned corn again (it did take about a month), took a picture (shhhhh don't bust me) with my cell phone, because I was happy oh and I won tickets to a show at the Oriental that was a fundraiser, well F won the tickets but gave me his ticket so I could be the winner... nice boy.

But it was driving home in the snow and making a wrong turn in order for me to find the most magical place.
 
This is a small church in the Highlands, can't tell you exactly where, but as I was driving by I just was awestruck by the lighting the colors and how beautiful it was.  I am pysched that I had my good camera with me and took a snapshot of the moment.




Jam Night with Cougar Legs
meadowlark
January 27, 2009

Final Cougar Legs Hosted Jam night at the Meadowlark. It was quite a happening.  Friends bought art. Friends played amazing music.I am always amazed when I see people improvise and make the most beautiful music.

 
 
  
  
  
  
  
  
  

The Astounding Problem of Andrew Novak Opening
The Lab 
Belmar
 
  



Reverend Horton Heat
Ogden Theater
January 30, 2009

I remember the last time I went to see the Reverend Horton Heat it was mid 90s, the swing was the thing, the rockabilly swing thing... totally the thing.  I remember a gal whose hair extensions looked so incredibly painful I couldn't imagine why she didn't just have them taken out and the glue was red and looked like crusted blood. It was awful.  Nothing as memorible outside of the music this time around.

Reno Divorce opened the show and true to the words of others... they are exactly like Denver's very own Social D... down to the greaser following and sound.  It was awesome.

 
Slim Ceasna's Auto Club was next.  Always ALWAYS a pleasure to see Slim and Munly work their magic.  It was so heavy down on the floor that I had to take my pictures on uber zoom from the balcony.  Didn't take too many because I was really there to see the show... but they just absolutely killed.  

Ok I snuck down to the fray and got down in the pit and took a few shots... I couldn't help myself.  

  
  
  



Dressy Bessy
Hi Dive
January 31, 2009
Went to the show... missed BSous which was a drag.  But Dressy Bessy just kicked it.

No comments: