Friday, July 23, 2010

The UMS Day One

Well The UMS is happening from last night through Sunday...

So I have heard Denver's UMS (Underground Music Showcase) for those locals living under an umbrella or those out of town... compared to South By Southwest. I beg to differ, why? Oh that's because SXSW brings in acts from all over the United States and the amazing world that we live in and The UMS focuses on Denver and Colorado's AMAZING and fine talent.

I opened the night walking up Broadway and could hear bands as I got closer to the heart of the area. Ran into friends along the way and each and everyone one of them asked... "who are you seeing"... we pulled up our spreadsheets on our IPhones and got to work planning the strategy of the evening. My plan was to stay very open to see any one that caught my ear.

My only plan was to see at least one (or two) bands that I had never actually heard of. After picking up my badge and wristbands for the weekend and catching up with some more friends about where they were heading... (this is a very very common festival activity... get used to it)... we headed over to the Illiterate Gallery to check out the music videos of RAVI. The videos were really disturbing and beautiful and reminded me very much of Tool videos from the mid 90s, which isn't a bad thing.

We then traveled over to the Irish Rover to see Sandusky, who I hadn't ever seen before. We walked in and caught about 15 minutes of their very shortened set. It was droney and lovely and a nice way to start off the night. I do look forward to seeing them again, they are definately on my radar!

Having never seen them before the dreamy guitar loops and as I pointed out in my flikr post was full of dronie goodness.  I can say I would love to play this at work when I am in the throws of the daily grind.  This could bring me back around and happy I would think.  A great introduction to this new to me band!



Denver's own Swayback were our next stop. The last time I saw them was in a overly packed and sweaty Hi-Dive last summer probably. Last night they also filled 3 Kings and yes it was hot and sweaty (and incredibly humid) but the crowd was there to see our "next big thing". Seeing them play in front of graphic projections, having a great time (I would imagine) and playing to a packed floor was a treat. They played hits and soon to be hits. The sound mix was terrific, you could hear every word, guitar chord and drum hit... the mix was outstanding. I know the possibility for a recording exists and if it hits the internets I will update. It was a great show and I am thrilled I was able to see them open the weekend.

It's blurry but I was way at the back of the room and this was the best I could do


We stepped outside of 3 Kings and while we were standing on the street we heard Porlolo playing inside the Irish Rover and for the record, we didn't go in because it was PACKED. But what we were fortunate enough to hear was great. I do think this will be perhaps another common thread for the weekend.

The next stop was a walk up to the Skylark where we ran into one of our fine hosts for the Weekend Richardo Baca... We had a lovely conversation and he always makes me smile with his love of our great town's music fare.

The surpise of the night though, was Roger,Roll. I had marked them on our spreadsheet for the reason, seriously, only because they had a comma in their name. Honestly... I had no idea about them, but it was a treat. We were treated to two guitar players, four string players, a keyboard and drummer PACKED onto the small stage of the Skylark. I was blown away. I will tell you with all honesty... I cried a little because it was so lovely and charming and JUST BLEW ME AWAY.

When do I see them again? It won't be soon enough.



Made it back down to the 3 Kings in just enough time to see the Kingdom of Magic set. I haven't actually ever seen Kingdom of Magic before and that is my bad. I should know better.

It was a terrific set and the audience ate it UP. I haven't seen that much head rockin' and sheer enthusiasm in a long time. For the first time in the evening I had to put in ear plugs. I really think if I didn't my ears would still be ringing almost 12 hours later.

It should be noted again that in the back of the room, the mix was clear. A very difficult accomplishment I am sure, but really great.



I can't tell you what tonite will bring but I am sure it will be just as amazing. My guy has bought me a new camera lens that I can't wait to break out and shoot with... I hope to report back on much more new to me music and musicians as well.

A GREAT start to an amazing festival.

No comments: