I got down to the South Broadway Baker District about 6PM ready to go. My mistake... no caffiene all day. Emotionally I was ready but was totally legally stimulant free.
I arrived at the HiDive in time to catch the Le Divorce set. I hadn't ever seen them so this was a great way to start the day. There is something so very respectful about the Hi Dive I can't explain it. I went up to the bar and was called "miss". I loved it. Thank gawd I wasn't called "ma'am" or seriously I would have secretely loved that too probably. Ok back to the music.
So I had wanted to see Le Divorce (they were on my spreadsheet), I mean any band that claims the Pixies and PJ Harvey as influences are ok with me. AND that they have Mannequin Heads as listed band members equals totally worth seeing. I was really impressed, I found them dreamy. I enjoyed them very much. I very much look forward to seeing them again. It was a nice mellow and dear way to stay off the second night of the festival.
There are folks who are far more fashionable than I am ...
I could only weather wearing docs...
BEST IDEA EVER - Thanks 3 Kings
We then walked over to 3 Kings to see Glass Hits. While we were waiting for the band to set up we were talking to a friend who said he has seen them last week and it was like "finding a new religion". I was enticed and excited.
As the sound guy continued to get everything ready.... I was watching the room fill.
Everything was ready to go and sadly the mix wasn't so great... the lead vocals kept coming in and out. But watching the lead singer wail and posture was a treat. It was a shame that we couldn't hear what he was belting out... but they are playing the Hi-Dive in August so hopefully we can get over there and get the full on effect.
As the sound guy continued to get everything ready.... I was watching the room fill.
Everything was ready to go and sadly the mix wasn't so great... the lead vocals kept coming in and out. But watching the lead singer wail and posture was a treat. It was a shame that we couldn't hear what he was belting out... but they are playing the Hi-Dive in August so hopefully we can get over there and get the full on effect.
We walked down the block to see what struck our fancy. There were lots of things we thought would be good, but certainly the joy that is Laura Goldhammer can not be missed. We caught the second part of her set. She was setting up and explained how speakers work which while entertaining was very educational. Then her percussionist played one of the speakers and looped it against the video. It was lovely. And Indy Ink was exactly the perfect place for her show. The audience sat on the floor and watched enthralled. And for the record her enthusiasm for what she does is totally infectious.
We headed out of the Indy Ink and stood watching the thralls on the street.
We then went next door for and ended up seeing a band that wasn't on our list. Joshua Trinidad explained that we should go next door to Illiterate Gallery and see the art by the Artist Ravi and then to also see Face Man.
Thursday night Ravi did a music video show where the art was also the centerpiece. The large scale pieces were interesting and terrifying. But the art on the wall was less scary to me, more in a comic / circus vein. Very dusty feeling. Face Man is a multi media experience. It was interesting, the guitarist was backed by a horn section and also another guitar/bassist. It was interesting again... not great but interesting. The music alone wouldn't have been enough to stay but the schtick kept us there for about 8 songs. Unfortunately I think the room wasn't right for the band. With the large installations in the middle of the gallery I think there were alot of people in the back who couldn't see everything.
We then cruised back to the 3 Kings (which seems to be our main spot for the shows this year) to see Rumanian Buck. They weren't even on my radar until F pointed out when he looked at the links in the spreadsheet that it was the lead singer of the Giraffes. I was really excited to see them play. I also was really impressed because they had a poster hanging in the window that I thought was lovely.
At end of the Glass Houses show I had talked to the lead singer and told him I really liked the poster and he explained that he hand screened each one. I told him that I planned on taking it at the end of the festival. Which I do.
They played an aggressive and adventurous set and happily no one threw anything wet or otherwise at the band (which locally people seem to do when Aaron Lazar) comes through town with his band the Giraffes. I have to say that Mr. Lazar to me has one of the best rock voices I have heard in a long time.... plus he is SUPER SUPER nice. Just keep that in your pocket for later.
I started to get this splitting head ache which I thought might be from a lack of food, so I cruised up the block to get a slice from Famous Pizza. It tasted great. The hippy in front of me was taking forever deciding what he wanted so I just blurted out give me a slice of what you got. The counter guy totally took care of me. A supreme slice. For sure.
Stood on the street eating my pizza watching the people go by. Everyone seemed to be jovial, happy and the common thread was everyone was just digging being out.
Headed back to 3 kings to see Lion Sized. Perhaps knowing #3 makes me like them more ... but they are so damned good, headache be damned... I was right up front with the rock.
I started to get this splitting head ache which I thought might be from a lack of food, so I cruised up the block to get a slice from Famous Pizza. It tasted great. The hippy in front of me was taking forever deciding what he wanted so I just blurted out give me a slice of what you got. The counter guy totally took care of me. A supreme slice. For sure.
Stood on the street eating my pizza watching the people go by. Everyone seemed to be jovial, happy and the common thread was everyone was just digging being out.
Headed back to 3 kings to see Lion Sized. Perhaps knowing #3 makes me like them more ... but they are so damned good, headache be damned... I was right up front with the rock.
Sadly though... the headache (even after a great shot of espresso at Sputnik) won and I had to leave. I really very much wanted to see Git Some, but I know better than to put my self in the way of a splitting head ache and Luke Fairchild's rock and roll. He is greatest guy in the world and honestly I was outside and with all the people, the smoke and noise... I had to call it a day and head home.
It was a great day for Day Two ... came home, rested my feet, took some ibuprophen and slept like I had wished...
Day Three was soon to be on it's way!
It was a great day for Day Two ... came home, rested my feet, took some ibuprophen and slept like I had wished...
Day Three was soon to be on it's way!












No comments:
Post a Comment