David Cross
Tattered Cover
Paramount Theater
Denver
September 29, 2009
Took some time off in the middle of the day to go and see the book signing for I Drink For a Reason by David Cross. He read a couple of peices from the book, did the standard Q & A (lots of questions about Arrested Development but not enough about Ronnie Dobbs ... oh wait there weren't any of those), then signed books.
F and I stood in line. When we got up to the front there was this dude in front of us who had a tattoo of David Cross (pretty much as his character from Arrested Development). It was kinda weird and funny in a way. He also had Bill Murray tatooed on his upper arm.
PS Tatoo guy... hope its ok I put your picture up on my blog
I didn't ask I know but look at how your arm is totally turned around too
PPS Your wife, the tattoo artist did a good job and her sleeves were good too
PPSS... enlarging the picture only shows how blurry the picture is I was rushing around the table
As an aside into the Tattered Cover I was walking in at the same time as David Cross, now please don't get me wrong...I totally wanted to say something but it would have been totally inappropriate and probably considered creepy so I kept my mouth shut and held the door for him. He is a skinny pickle for the record and has really long (but nice fingers). See? Creepy.
Any way sat in the back of the room because that is where F got seats at, and got to see this hipsters plumber crack for like 20 minutes. I almost asked him to pull down his teenie little tshirt but didn't. I contemplated taking a picture with my phone and posting it to brightkite, but that goes out to my twitter and facebook, so didn't. But know this. It was super duper tempting. And later that night when I saw the same hipster dude going into the theater he was dressed up and actually wearing a suit jacket I am glad that I didn't.
So we get up to have the books signed and David Cross is really gracious. Again I didn't say anything creepy, I almost did. But I got pictures of the boys together. The tour manager guy looked really not happy I got a couple pictures but stuff it buddy. Hey I didn't get F to take a picture with me and him ok... that would have really annoyed you because I would have asked him to stand up or something.
Went back to work, shook off the stalker tendancies* *JUST KIDDING.
Met F and some friends at the show. We had great seats, then the jackass (and there is always one) that repeats the punchline to each and every joke sits behind us. It was terribly distracting. But I was sure to not miss anything funny or what this guy thought was funny. I had some other distractions and was in pain (nothing that a root canal a week later didn't totally fix up) so I think honestly I didn't enjoy the show as much as I would have had I not felt like my entire jaw was in a vice.
The opening guy was not so great, but it could have been that I saw every single one of his jokes already several times on Last Comic Standing last summer. But thankfully his set was short. The schtick with the kid coming out at a young David Cross was funny... that kid's delivery was DEAD ON. We got a little song by David Cross and then it was on. Some new stuff, some old material but at least this time (as the last time I saw him at the Comedy Works in July of 97 where I was inappropriate) it didn't freak me out because it mirrored things going on in my life and F. There said it. But ... the show was funny. The signer was funny. And the opener heckling later in the show was funny because he forgot his lines and ran with it. He closed the show and I was a little bummed the night was over. I laughed aloud alot.
He is a talented guy and should you have the chance to see him live you definitely should.



No comments:
Post a Comment