Midget Wrestling Three Kings Tavern Denver, CO May 14, 2009
What a way to get back into the positing saddle. Now this is part of the delay in posting, I started out wanting to make this great video from some raw footage that I shot at the show and then got sidetracked (shocker) by the next show that I went to and never really got to do what I wanted to do... but I slapped something together. NOT my best work. Ok I barely even tried. And then the song that I wanted to use, YouTube ganked and substituted the song on the video instead (ok ok I get it, copyright and stuff but it was annoying). So anyways in order to get back on track... here is where I left off.
It was fun, a little disturbing and completely manipulative in a lot of ways on both sides of the ring. It was one of the most difficult things that I have tried to take pictures at I have to admit and I really enjoyed the challenge, but I realized I don't know what I am doing in that type of venue with that type of action. Here is a little information for you on the entire thing... Oh it's not Midget Wresting formally... but formally "Micro Wrestling Foundation". And I do hope that they do come back through town, it was really a great show, the guys who run it are nice as can be and called me ma'am more than once when they walked in front of me as I was shooting. Very polite. That probably takes away some of the mystery but there it is...I am a breaker of mysteries...
So here is the little video that I put together, it is only merely meh...
Here is a slide show from Westword of the night as well...
May 18 2009 Mike Watt and the Missingmen Larimer Lounge
I was excited to see Mike Watt again. The last time I saw him was maybe 10 years ago at the Mercury Cafe. We had gone to shoot an interview with him for Teletunes and stuck around for the show, this was back in the days where there were punk rock shows at the Mercury... oh that was then....I remember how he was really a really nice guy and so nice to interview. I was excited to go and see him again, a little sad that it was at a smaller venue because I feel like he should be selling out stadiums that is how great a bass player I think he is. It was a fun show. Got some better shots than I expected.
We had a nice spot right at the front. Usually at the Larimer I stand on the sidelines but this was right up there. There were some people that were super edgy about the mini moshing that was going down, but seriously... this was MIKE WATT... whatever. It was a great opportunity and I am super glad I got to go.
Velvet Cash Larimer Lounge May 23, 2009
Saturday night and I am ready to go and have a great time at the Larimer Lounge. My friend Jim's band is playing and I am ready for a fun night.
I am bummed that there weren't more people there and they showed up a little bit later for the headliner... Scott Biram... which was nice. But I really think those that showed up later missed out. I am not being biased (totally and completely only a little bit) but the guys really played a great show. Afterwards I went out to the patio and ran into a dude that I used to know. I was not so impressed. I honestly was a little grossed out. If you are chewing tobacco, you probably shouldn't smoke a cigarette too. I did take some video too but honestly if I waited to post this when I had the video uploaded this wouldn't EVER get put up.
Tuesday May 26, 2009 Janes Addiction Fiddler's Green
OK now I know that Nine Inch Nails played too... dont' get me wrong about 10 years ago I would have been ALL ABOUT Trent Reznor and the boys but I was much much happier to be seeing Janes Addiction. When the NiN/JA tour was announced and that Janes would be headlining I was super excited. But not really excited enough to sign up and buy a ticket pre-sale online. So when we were waiting in line to pick up our tickets (thanks F...and thanks Mel!) I see the NiN/JA presale line crawling around and barely moving I really felt badly for those folks. I mean seriously the line was a major scene of backfire. I promise that almost all those people were in line to see Nine Inch Nails, who had already started to play. It was a common complaint across the tour which was sad. It could have really gone well but it didn't. So Nine Inch Nails was playing and I honestly can say... I didn't recognize any of the songs. It was kinda sad. I recognized a couple but not the whole set like I though I would have thought. They were loud and played during daylight which was a little weird. They did play one song that I recognized which was fun... It's always fun to hear "Suck" and considering the first time I saw the song live was Trent sang it with Pigface at the Gothic about a 100 years ago. So that was a treat to hear him scream it.
Tuesday May 26, 2009 Janes Addiction Fiddler's Green
OK now I know that Nine Inch Nails played too... dont' get me wrong about 10 years ago I would have been ALL ABOUT Trent Reznor and the boys but I was much much happier to be seeing Janes Addiction. When the NiN/JA tour was announced and that Janes would be headlining I was super excited. But not really excited enough to sign up and buy a ticket pre-sale online. So when we were waiting in line to pick up our tickets (thanks F...and thanks Mel!) I see the NiN/JA presale line crawling around and barely moving I really felt badly for those folks. I mean seriously the line was a major scene of backfire. I promise that almost all those people were in line to see Nine Inch Nails, who had already started to play. It was a common complaint across the tour which was sad. It could have really gone well but it didn't. So Nine Inch Nails was playing and I honestly can say... I didn't recognize any of the songs. It was kinda sad. I recognized a couple but not the whole set like I though I would have thought. They were loud and played during daylight which was a little weird. They did play one song that I recognized which was fun... It's always fun to hear "Suck" and considering the first time I saw the song live was Trent sang it with Pigface at the Gothic about a 100 years ago. So that was a treat to hear him scream it.
Went to go and get some beers, came back to the seats and watched what can only be described as THE QUICKEST STAGE CHANGE/SET UP EVER. Seriously, it looked like it took 45 seconds. It was a machine and cool. The sun was definately starting to set and my anticipation was getting really amped up because I really was now fully excited to see Janes Addiction. When they played in Denver last was at Lollapalooza. I skipped out seeing Porno for Pyros because I (and here is something I rarely ever admit....) sold my tickets to a young lady and her Dad out front of the Ogden because it was sold out and she really wanted to go and I was more excited about the money at that time. It was bad concert karma I realize this, but at the time, I didn't feel like I was taking advantage of the situation, when in all honesty I totally did. Ok so kind of exciting to see Janes Addiction with the original lineup again.
And seriously... I did know all the songs. I knew the words, I knew the clip from Wish, I knew the clip from Natural Born Killers, I didn't know the clip from the River, but knew just where to look and sang along (quietly) watched the gal behind me dance along the rail, and watched the venue literally empty by about half (guess the people who left just wanted to see Nine Inch Nails). The people that left missed a great great show. Perry Farrel was so on...He looked like he was having fun, danced and shook his skinny little ass off for two hours. Sang and sounded great, better than I anticipated. It was amazing. A nice way to remember one of the better bands that I saw back in the 80s and 90s a couple times. Made me wane and wax poetic for some of the times I had in LA to be quite honest.
here are some pictures:
I wrapped up the month with perhaps the best meal I have ever had at Frasca on Friday May 29th. The company was delicious as well. But the meal (and I WILL NEVER take pictures of my food when I am enjoying it that much for the record) was outstanding. I have said this every time I have been fortunate enough to leave after dining there that "this was the best meal I have ever had" but seriously that was the best meal that I have ever had.
I have also decided, if I can swing it, I am totally going to try and find a little tiny counter top meat slicer so I can have paper thin sliced meats anytime I wish. The salumi plate was unreal. There was a delicious round of risotto. There was an amazing rabbit ravioli. Undeniably delicious. I look forward to going back again. So amazing.
Onto June.....



No comments:
Post a Comment