Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Record Store Day


Record Store Day 2009
April 18th

International Record Store Day

I bought a record player a little bit ago. I sold my old one about two years ago at a garage sale and actually totally regretted it the minute I did so. Bought a record player where I could convert my vinyl (which thankfully I also didn't get rid of) even.

I have been looking forward to Record Store Day for months actually. Had it bookmarked, watched the site, subscribed to the Twitter feed... watched the releases like a hawk. Made Lists!

I got almost everything that I wanted and then the magic of the whole thing was running into friends at Twist and Shout (one of Denver's finest establishments in all of the front range within semi-walking distance). But considering the weather was a little wet and rainy I drove (of course I did... I don't really walk anywhere).

One of the greatest joys of the early afternoon was walking through all the used vinyl, buying things I sold a long time ago... not everything of course, but just some really fun stuff. Got some great advise on the importance of Elvis Costello from Kim. Got a couple of great classic Jazz records on the advise of Jon and walked out of there with some exciting new audible excitement.

I came home and you know what was the most magical thing of all... not the new music, not the old music, not the fact that I bought vinyl to begin with... no.... but the pure pleasure of running my finger down the middle of the open end of the sealed records. I loved it. It was like opening a present.

I miss that. And I am excited that I can listen to vinyl again. The record player works super well, the conversion software not so much, but I am working on that. I do anticipate enjoying vinyl again.

Thanks #RSD09 you brought on the magic!

No comments: